Tuesday 19 April 2016

The Kite Runner Chapters 1-10

Amir, a man without any conception of honour or Brotherhood, is in fact a capitalist. Amir used Hassan's friendship for as long as it suited him, the moment it was tested with tribulation it shattered. "I had one last chance to make a decision. one final opportunity to decide who i was going to be. I could step into that alley, stand up for Hassan the way he'd stood up for me all those times in the past and accept whatever would happen to me. Or i could run. In the end, I ran."(Hosseini 82) In this situation it did not suit Amir to stand up for Hassan. Hassan had outrun his usefulness, Hassan was there to protect him not the other way around. Fortune favours the bold, it's a dog eat dog world, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. In this case Amir decided that he was more important than his "brother", and favoured his own life. For this he was rewarded with his fathers affection and the admiration of his family and friends, all for the price of the man who would "...eat dirt if you asked..."(Hosseini 52). In This transaction, a human life for happiness, we can see Amir's true nature which is of course that of a capitalist.

2 comments:

  1. You very clearly expressed your thoughts, and I think all you're examples hit very important moments that showed Amir's true colours. I also like how you integrate your quotations smoothly into the flow of the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb, this is a unique perspective, and one that I buy into. I never thought about Amir's behaviour being that of a capitalist...essentially using people as social capital.

    ReplyDelete