Wednesday 20 April 2016

How I feel about Amir- Chapters 1-10

I believe that Amir tries so hard to please his father, that he becomes blind to the world around him. This caused me to dislike him in some ways. When Hassan was raped by Assef, Amir turned away because he believes it's what needs to be done in order for his father to forgive him for 'killing' his mother. He needs the blue kite, which he won in the tournament, because he wants his father to be proud of him, no matter what the cost is. When Amir turned away from the alley, he thought "I actually aspired to cowardice, because the alternative, the real reason I was running, was that Assef was right: Nothing was free in this world. Maybe Hassan was the price I had to pay, the lamb I had to slay to win Baba"(Hosseini 82). This shows that he will do anything to win Baba's affection, even if it means sacrificing his friends innocence. Amir was always resentful of the way that Baba was with Hassan, the way he treated Hassan as more of a son then he ever did with Amir. Though, as the book progressed, he was haunted by the guilt of leaving Hassan in the alley to fend for himself, and he realized that the past can catch up to him easier then he hoped it would. In the very first chapter, Amir is speaking in the present, and is now an adult, and he foreshadowed "That was a long time ago, but it's wrong what they say about the past, I've learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws it's way out. Looking back now, I realize I have been peeking into that deserted alley for the last twenty-six years" (Hoesseini 1).

No comments:

Post a Comment