Friday 22 April 2016

My feelings about Amir

My first impression of Amir was that he is a smart kid. I now realize that I dislike Amir on a very large scale, and he is gutless and not smart at all. Amir is a terrible friend to Hassan when he watches him get raped and does not even do the tiniest thing to attempt to stop him. "I had one last chance to make a decision... [I]n the end, I ran."(Hosseini, 82). Amir is watching his friend Hassan get raped right in front of him, and never steps in to say anything or even distract Assef for a little bit of time so Hassan can run. Amir decides rather than getting hurt, his Hazara can just take the pain for the two of them. Amir is despicable in gutless for not stepping in and doing anything at all to prevent Hassan from being traumatized for the remainder of his life. Another point where Amir is unlikable is when Hassan returns to Amir from being raped, and the first thing Amir does is ensure that the kite Hassan ran is okay and unharmed. "He has the blue kite in his hands; that was the first thing I saw. And I can't lie now and say my eyes didn't scan it for any rips."(Hosseini, 83). Amir is aware that his friend was just raped and had his entire life changed, and he is concerned that his new kite is not ripped. Amir cares more for a kite than about his friend who will, frankly, never be the same. Amir looks at the kite hoping it is not hurt, with absolutely no concern for the well being of Hassan. Amir is a terrible person for watching his friend get raped and do anything about it, and for afterwards being more concerned about his kite, he is a despicable person.

No comments:

Post a Comment