Monday 4 April 2016

My Defining Moment

Thinking about my defining moment I thought it was just dance that has made me who I am today, but as I thought about it more my defining moment is not only dance but also growing up with divorced parents since the age of one. For as long as I can remember I've had to spilt my time between two families. Having my parents being divorced has made me more independent but it also made me really shy. At the age of three my dad got remarried, as a result my dad started to spend less time with me and when I spent time with him I was really shy around him, my step mom, and step sister. I also became independent at a young age as my mom works long hours and only seeing my dad every other weekend, I needed to learn to make sure my homework was done and make myself dinner when I was old enough to stay home alone. As the years have gone on I've become less shy around my dad, Vivienne, and Lizzy and love to spend time with them, especially when Lizzy is home from university. Dance has also played a big role on who I am today by becoming more confident and helping me get over my shyness. Performing in front of big crowds for the past fourteen years has greatly contributed to my confidence and shyness. Dance also helps me forget things by expressing it through movement. As much as I'd love to have my parents together, I love having 2 families and I wouldn't be who I am today with out dance and having divorced parents.

4 comments:

  1. I noticed you mentioned that dance helps you to forget things. Did you mean it helps you to deal with challenges in life? Also, I agree with your statement about having divorced parents making people shy and independent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is what I meant, it is easier for me to express how I feel through movement rather than through words

      Delete
  2. I agree with the fact that having divorced parents make you more independent and living with a single parent that works long hours makes you have to learn to take care of your self. I'm glad that you have dance as a escape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I like how you combined two key events in your life to show how they defined you. While people often view divorce as unfortunate, it can really be a positive experience. You seem to have taken dance as a way to deal with the results of the divorce to improve your life.

    ReplyDelete