Monday 30 May 2016

I Would Be ISU






Map of Netherlands

My great grandparents were born and raised in the Netherlands. They gave birth to three daughters there. In 1948 they moved to Canada for a better life. The economy was better here and World War II had also just ended the year before. It was easier to get into Canada back then as well. My grandma became pregnant again with a son (my grandpa) and he was born in April of 1949. She had another son the following year. In 1951, she passed away from a blood clot in her leg. She chose death over amputation. My great grandpa could not take care of five kids on his own, so he sent the oldest child who was six years old at the time, and the youngest who was six months, back to Holland to be with family. In 1954, he got remarried to their live in nanny. They had two kids together (1955 and 1960).





Postwar Dutch Immigration through Pier 21


In 1962, they moved to California because my great grandpa got a job offer. Their two kids and my grandpa had no choice but to follow. My grandpa later came back here in 1969 because he did not want to fight in the Vietnam War. He reconnected with a past girlfriend who would be my grandma, and they had my mom in 1972. My great grandpa passed away in August of 1999, which was a couple weeks before I was born, from cancer. My grandpas step mom is still living in California today.





Image result for apartments in amsterdam
           Downtown Amsterdam Apartments


If they didn't immigrate to Canada and I was living in the Netherlands, I think I would be in a good place. Living conditions are good and they have nice spacious apartments. There is also a lot of festivals throughout the year and people in that country are very supportive and friendly. The social life would be great. Statistics show that Holland has a crime rate that is lower than average. Of course there is crime and unsafe areas anywhere, but I would feel safe for the most part.
Right now the unemployment rate there is 6.9%, which is the same as Canada. There is also a 30% tax-free allowance for people with specific skills in the work force. The average salary is $27,000 to $33,000. That isn't as much as Canada considering ours is $50,000, but the cost of living in Holland isn't as high. It is fairly easy to get a job as a resident as well. It's a little harder for immigrants.
The healthcare there is very efficient. It is rated the best in Europe. Waiting times aren't long and prescription collections are fast. It is mandatory to belong to a medical scheme, which means people have basic services for a monthly fee and can't be refused for anything. They also have very high health standards and normally facilities and hospitals are university based. Residents are automatically insured by the government for long-term nursing and care but everyone is required to have their own basic health insurance. I think it's nice that it will cover dental care up to eighteen years old. This is great but it is kind of expensive. 2016 shows that it is just over $1400 a year.
Education is compulsory starting at age 5. School is required every day until the age of 16. Then a partial education is required where students need some kind of education for at least two days a week. Compulsory education ends at age 18 but a diploma on a VWO, HAVO or MBO level is required.

Based on all of this and I was living in the Netherlands, I would have a good life like I do here. I would most likely end up getting a good job, have nice living conditions, and I'd have a fair education and healthcare. I'd also have a really big family and a lot of close people around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment