Thursday 2 June 2016

Where I Would Live

For my project I chose to research my Austrian roots. My Oma immigrated to Canada in 1953 and my Opa in 1950. They were living in poor conditions as Austria was still recovering from the second world war, so they came to Canada looking for opportunity. They each wanted to get out due to a limited amount of family left thanks to the war. Canada represented new opportunity and a rich country to gain a job and look for suitors. From what I have researched, Austrian kids nowadays are actually very similar to us. They listen to electronic music, and watch the same movies, even in English. Which they speak as a second language. Currently, Vienna is ranked one of the highest grossing places to live in the world. This is due to its high affordability, which hints at an easier lifestyle in a stable economy. Life as an Austrian teenager  would be nice because it also has easily accessible transportation and very cheap for one Euro a trip. Austria is one of the most prosperous Countries in Europe, and can be seen as a free market economy. The schooling system is similar with kids starting preschool and kindergarten very early, having nine compulsory years of school (grades one-nine) and terminates at grade thirteen. Austria has a strong health care system and Doctors are posted in many locations, remote or bustling. All the Country makes contributions, similar to in Canada. If I lived in Austria I would live in a teen-friendly environment with accessible transportation. I would take the bus or maybe taxis to a school with very similar grades to Canada where I would learn to read and write in both German and English. The transportation on the bus would be extremely affordable, and with Austria’s great economy I could take it anywhere and everywhere. I would start kindergarten at the age of five and enter grade one at the age of six. High school would begin when I am fourteen, and I would finish at eighteen. I would start paying my taxes once I turned eighteen and either have a job or be moving on to postsecondary education. Whenever I was injured or in need of health care, I could visit a hospital with ease and little to no complications due to the social health care system. Once I finish postsecondary I would find an occupation and try to find a wife and settle down and have a family. Austria is still a very traditional Country, and my Parents and family would want for me to have a spouse and continue on the family name. All in all, I found Austria was a Country very similar to Canada now and I found if my Oma and Opa had stayed there, I would be living a similar life to what I have here in Canada. I enjoyed researching this very much and would like to visit my origin Country of Austria sometime in the future and see what it would have been like.


References

Web Site
Web Page
"The Austrian healthcare system." justlanded.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 May 2016.
    <https://www.justlanded.com/english/Austria/Austria-Guide/Health/
    The-Austrian-healthcare-system>.

Interview
Copeland, Sonya. Instant messenger interview. N.d. (Formerly Sonya Hutter) My
    Mother and the Daughter of my Oma and Opa

Web Site
Web Page
"Economy." Austrian Embassy Washington. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 May 2016.
    <http://www.austria.org/economy/>.

Web Site
Web Page
"Educational Systems." migration.gv.at. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 May 2016.
    <http://www.migration.gv.at/en/living-and-working-in-austria/
    children-and-education/educational-systems.html>.

Magazine
Article
Millvile, Katie. "A Look at Life in Austria." Teen Ink: n. pag. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment